- Vice Provost for Continuing, Professional and Executive Education
- Go to our website »
Vice Provost for Continuing, Professional and Executive Education
Stony Brook University seeks an inspiring, entrepreneurial, and visionary leader to become the inaugural Vice Provost for Continuing, Professional, and Executive Education (CP&EE).
Role of the Vice Provost for Continuing, Professional, and Executive Education
The inaugural Vice Provost for CP&EE will join the university at a critical and exciting time in its history. While largely managed through the School of Professional Development, SBU has a history of offering quality CP&EE programs within individual schools and colleges. With the resources currently housed in the School of Professional Development, the Vice Provost will have meaningful support for tackling challenges that are vital to the future success of the university by creating an integrated vision for CP&EE and leveraging existing programs and resources in implementing this vision.
The Vice Provost for CP&EE will have an innovation and growth mindset and work collaboratively with academic units across the university to provide strategic direction for the expansion of SBU's revenue generating program offerings in alignment with university strategic priorities.
The Vice Provost for CP&EE will deeply engage with faculty and leadership across the university as well as external stakeholders/partners to develop a vision for the future and the path it will take to get there. The selected candidate will be an innovator open to new ideas, a champion for interdisciplinary work, and a leader infused with a collaborative spirit. The ideal candidate will have a strong academic background, hold the highest terminal degree in their field, and have extensive and progressive strategic-level continuing, professional, and executive education experience.
The Vice Provost for CP&EE will be tasked with expanding current efforts toward a recognizable institutional presence that drives innovation and success building upon the competencies and capabilities that exist throughout the Stony Brook community including those in the School of Professional Development.
The Vice Provost for CP&EE will support units in developing and administering their programs across three domains of CP&EE at SBU including:
- Entrepreneurial Academic Program Development, which focuses largely on support to academic units (across school/colleges as well as centers/institutes) in their development of in-person, online, and hybrid graduate degree programs and certificates focused on serving traditional and non-traditional populations locally and nationally where there is demonstrated need. While the focus will be on Master's programs, programs at other levels such as 4+1 or non-degree programs will also be considered to the extent that they evidence potential for generating new or expanded streams of revenue.
- K-12 Teacher Preparation and Educational Leadership Preparation, which focuses on supporting and expanding teacher education and educational leadership throughout the state through a variety of educational modalities.
- Corporate and Executive Education, which focuses on providing leadership in workforce education to emerging, existing and transitional professionals through online, hybrid and in-person and custom programs to support the growing workforce/economic development and healthcare needs of our state. Collaboration with external partners such as the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute will be part of this portfolio.
The Vice Provost for CP&EE reports to the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost and serves as a member of the University Council and the Provost's Leadership Team, working collaboratively with the President, Provost, Executive Vice President for Health Sciences, Vice Provosts, and academic Deans to further SBU's mission as a leading research university with a deep commitment to holistic student success and impact across the region, the state, and beyond.
Required Qualifications: (as evidenced by an attached resume)
Highest terminal degree within a discipline from an accredited institution. At least five years of experience in an academic administrative or leadership role. Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion among faculty, staff, students, and postdoctoral scholars.
A proven track record of CP&EE program development, growth, and sustainability. Tenured or tenurable in a faculty position. Experience with the development and growth of successful industry-relevant high-quality credit (undergraduate, 4+1, graduate), and non-credit programs that generate new sources of additional institutional revenue. Experience working with others to both shape a vision and accomplish ambitious goals within that vision as an action-oriented, data-driven leader. A collaborative, collegial and transparent approach to leadership and a record of promoting shared governance balanced with an ability to make clear decisions. Demonstrated success in developing programs that facilitate positive impacts in academic units including support of research, student success, scholarship and creative activity. Experience with and commitment to developing external partnerships with stakeholders including donors, alumni, philanthropic institutions, business leaders, community partners, elected officials, entrepreneurs, and fellow educational institutions. Experience in crafting revenue-share agreements with internal academic units and external partners, including subject-matter experts. Experience in micro and alternative credentials. Clear experience with budgets, specifically the ability to align resources with priorities and transparently communicate decisions concerning ROI, revenue share, and resource allocation. Evidence of improving outcomes for diverse student populations through the enhancement of their educational experiences. Superb communication and interpersonal skills. The ability to develop and to nurture professional and strategic relationships with internal partners. The highest ethical values and principles in personal and professional endeavors. Experience with assessment of academic program outcomes and the process of sustaining accreditation where applicable.
- Develop guidelines, processes, policies, and capabilities that support collaboration between this vice provost and academic units across the entire university that facilitate student success and academic program success in ways that are aligned with the goals and priorities of the academic units that hold ownership of the programs
- Partner with the Dean of the Graduate School to create synergies across existing academic offerings and new, revenue-generating degree programs
- Formulate a long-term entrepreneurial vision for CP&EE at SBU that supports revenue generation in SPD and other academic units in ways that align with our university mission
- Build strong teams to support the unique but inter-related domains overseen by the role
- Work closely with a CP&EE Steering Committee appointed by the provost to establish governance and oversight of this portfolio of activities
- Develop and expand strong external partnerships with community stakeholders, governmental agencies, industry partners, and K-12 leaders to assess needs and evaluate opportunities
- Develop and support programs that align with our university mission as a public flagship research university that also prioritizes revenue generation through mutually beneficial revenue-share agreements
- Continue the carefully built and supportive environment developed in SPD and other areas of concentration across academic program development and teacher preparation
- Assess the marketing value proposition of existing CP&EE programs offered throughout the university and develop a results-oriented integrated marketing strategy to the benefit of all
- Communicate the successes of the CP&EE program portfolio and enhance awareness of CP&EE capabilities to stakeholders in the New York community and beyond in ways that amplify the Stony Brook story and elevate the Stony Brook brand
- Align with the Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching (CELT) to ensure online course offerings are utilizing best-in-class capabilities for student experience and digital learning, and instructional design
- Other duties or projects as assigned as appropriate to rank and departmental mission.
This is a Management Confidential position. It is an FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Minimum salary threshold must be met to maintain FLSA exemption. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Essential Position: This has been designated as an essential position based on the duties of the job and the functions performed. Positions that are designated as such may be required to report to work/remain at work even if classes are canceled, and the campus is working on limited operations in an emergency.
For more information on the search and leadership profile, please visit: https://www.stonybrook.edu/commcms/provost/about/_searches/vp-cpee-2022.php.
Candidates should submit a CV, a list of three references, and a cover letter summarizing qualifications and motivation for the position including the commitment to the research, teaching, service, and diversity, equity and inclusion mission of SBU. We note that references will not be contacted without notice to the candidate.
Names of candidates in the final round of interviews will be made available to the Stony Brook community and all finalists will deliver a public presentation outlining their vision for continuing, professional and executive education at SBU, including their previous experiences/accomplishments in this domain as well as their concrete plans for advancing this vision.
Applications can only be accepted by applying online. Please do not submit any application materials directly to the members of the committee or other contacts.
To nominate, please send the nominees' name and title to Jenn Rossler at Jennifer.Rossler@stonybrook.edu.
THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH ONLY APPLIES TO POSITIONS THAT MAY COME IN CONTACT WITH PATIENTS OR PATIENT CARE EMPLOYEES.
In accordance with federal and state regulations that all hospitals and nursing homes require personnel to be vaccinated against COVID-19, candidates who are not already fully vaccinated must obtain the first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine within three (3) calendar days of acceptance of a conditional job offer and must obtain any subsequent doses in accordance with that particular vaccine manufacturer's protocol. Candidates who are partially vaccinated, but not yet fully vaccinated, must complete their vaccination series within three (3) calendar days of a job offer or in accordance with that particular vaccine manufacturer's protocol, whichever comes later.
The state regulation also includes those who may be affiliated with or interact with employees of a hospital or nursing home. The regulations allow for limited exemptions with reasonable accommodations, consistent with applicable law.
Resume/CV and cover letter should be included with the online application.
Stony Brook University is committed to excellence in diversity and the creation of an inclusive learning, and working environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status and all other protected classes under federal or state laws.
If you need a disability-related accommodation, please call the university Office of Equity and Access (OEA) at or visit OEA.
In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act a copy of our crime statistics can be viewed here.
Visit our WHY WORK HERE page to learn about the total rewards we offer.
Job Number: 2300649Official Job Title: Associate ProvostJob Field: Administrative & Professional (non-Clinical)Primary Location: US-NY-Stony BrookDepartment/Hiring Area: Provost OfficeSchedule: Full-time Shift :Day Shift Shift Hours: 8:30am - 5:00pm Posting Start Date: Feb 28, 2023Posting End Date: Mar 31, 2023, 3:59:00 AMSalary:Commensurate with experienceAppointment Type: RegularSalary Grade:MP3SBU Area:Stony Brook University
To apply, visit https://stonybrooku.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=2300649&tz=GMT%2B00%3A00&tzname=UTC
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency